Re: THE BRITISH SEAGULL ?

From: jckniese@francomm.com
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 07:22:53 PST

> Where do you put your tank? That is the one item that keeps me from even
> looking at the 4 strokes at this point. My Suzuki 4HP does me fine for
> the little use I make of it, but I'd love to move to a 6 or 8 HP, but if
> I'm going to get a new OB, I'm going to get a 4 stroke. That means an
> external tank and I just can't figure out where to put it. I don't want
> it inside, and I don't want it in the cockpit. That seems to leave on
> the cabintop or on the transom somewhere unless I install a built-in
> fuel tank.
>
> Bill B.
> P-19 #454, Dream Catcher
> Nampa, ID
>
> jckniese@francomm.com wrote:
>
> > Hi Drew,
> > If you want a good motor choose either a Honda or Yamaha. I had a
> > Yamaha 70Hp for 5 years and it never failed me. I went through storms
> > in Cape Cod and have run down the Hudson river to NY City. I now have
> > two Honda's. A 50Hp on my McGregor sailboat and a 90Hp on my Invader
> > Cuddy. Both are very reliable. I just bought a Nissan 5Hp 4 stroke for
> > my new Potter 19 but on the McGregor site some people reported that they
> > switched from the Nissan type motor to Honda Or Yamaha due to the
> > unreliable operation of the Nissan. Another motor that is very reliable
> > is the Suzki but they weigh a lot. For your boat I would recommend the
> > Honda 2HP 4 stroke. The problem with these light motors is that they
> > have an internal gas tank and you might have to refill out on the water
> > which is a tricky situation. I prefer a motor with an external tank
> > that will get me a good distance, if necessary, without refueling
> > underway.
> > Bob
> > P19#1148
> > Dovie
> > Duanesburg, NY
Hi Bill,
I'm installing a swim platform on my P19 and intend to lash the external
fuel tank down there while underway. For trailering I'm going to
install a couple of padeyes in the cockpit to tie the tank down there.
I figure it will be more secure than carring it in the truck bed as some
one could grab it when I'm parked somewhere.
I read that the Suzuki motors are very reliable and carry a six year
warranty...have a chain drive. But a 5HP fourstroke weights 102lb.
Bob
P19#1148
Dovie
Duanesburg,NY