RE: THE BRITISH SEAGULL ? - external fuel tanks require fuel pumps

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 06:43:53 PST

> Adding an external tank to a motor with a gravity fed internal
> tank requires
> installation of a fuel pump. Outboard motors require vacuum from
> crankshaft
> to run fuel pump. None of the internal tank equipped motors allow
> installation of a fuel pump anymore. You would have to hold the
> external fuel
> tank above the motor all the time, Kinda painfull after a while...

You sure about that? Two problems with this theory: 1: Crankshafts are
usually under pressure, not vaccuum, and 2: I've not noticed a fuel pump in
any of my small outboards, but maybe I've not paid enough attention.

I thought the small ones just fed fuel directly by the vacuum created by the
venturi in the carburetor.