Re: 2 cycle outboard motor external fuel tanks require fuel pumps!

From: SolarFry@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 13:35:30 PST

Eric:

Please don't get mad at me...

I have investigated this topic to exhaustion. If you go back in archives you
will find me searching for a solution. The 3.5 Nissan manual actually shows
the installation of a fuel pump to a hole in crankcase for an external tank
option. However, no luck locating one from Nissan/Tohatsu or Merc.

I have several shop manuals for Evinrude, Nissan/Tohatsu, Merc for all
outboards from 2hp thru 150. The story they tell is.. No pump no suction for
an external fuel tank. If you check a 4 hp Evinrude with factory provision
for external fuel tank you will find the pump attached to bottom of crankcase
on left side looking at front of motor... If you check a Nissan 8 you will
find a fuel pump attached to... Crankcase.

You need a fuel pump. Don't none of you guys go out and get an external 3.5
gallon fuel tank expecting to just hook it through fitting and run off of it.
Only the Evinrude 4 has a fuel pump neither Nissan/tohatsu or Merc under 5
have one.

Heck! I even toyed with the idea of putting in an automotive electric fuel
pump powered by onboard battery to run the lil 3.5 of an external tank. I
chickened out with fear of fuel leakage or Boom! Blowing myself up. Another
time I toyed with idea of mounting tank on coaming and hooking it up to top
of gas cap so it would gravity feed. EcoTerrorist wife stopped me...

There used to be a tank like In a message dated 3/21/00 8:18:39 AM Pacific