Re: Balancing the helm when reefing - Mast attitude

From: Bill Combs (ttursine@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 05:59:22 PST

> on 3/28/00 1:53 AM, Kent Crispin at kent@songbird.com wrote:
>
> When I first got my potter I had exactly the same lee helm problem

Me, too ... but 13 years ago and sans CDI.

> -- I was nervous about going out in the bay, and would start with a reef in
> the main but a full lapper, 'cuz I knew I could always roll up the lapper in a
> very short time. I asked several people about the lee helm, including Jerry,
> but no one had ever heard of a potter doing what I was describing.
> I adjusted the backstay/forestay to the limits of the respective turnbuckles,
> tilting the mast to the limits, and it made no significant difference. I
> eventually got to the exact technique that Judy did -- partially rolling up
> the CDI when I reefed the main, to balance the sail plan.

The problem didn't last long, however. I went the distance and added a
turnbuckle to the backstay and replaced the forestay, adding a lever at the
same time. In the process, I lengthened the latter by about a foot and
shortened the other commensurately.

Balance was achieved within the resulting tuning range, as defined by the
choice of attachment points to the lever and by the turnbuckle setting.

Regards,
Bill Combs

--
WWP 19 #439 (Aug 1987) "Ursa Minor"