Re: LAKE PONCHARTRAIN

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 09:54:48 PDT

When I lived in Florida in the 60s, a young man I knew sailed a board boat from the West Coast of Florida, the Tampa area, I think, to New Orleans. A friend went with him on the boat. They came in each night, of course. I had an airplane at the time, and I flew his dad out and we intercepted them north of Cedar Key. We were able to communicate with a pair of toy walkie-talkies.

I don't know about accessibility of Lake Ponchartrain from the Gulf, but the trip would appear to be feasible in a Potter if it can be done on a board boat.

On our flight back, a fuel fitting broke on my old Ercoupe and we landed at Titusville, in a downpour, on our last drop of fuel...but that's another story.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA