Re: Backstays

From: JohnPaulJo@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 11:51:00 PDT

writes:

<< We were responding to Tom Sparks, who is waiting for his new P19. You
can't use a backstay on the P15 because of the four-sided mainsail with the
long batten.

On a P-15 if you're going downwind wing on wing, a topping lift hooked to the
bridle would relieve tension on the stays. If you're sailing with just a
storm jib in heavy wind, the topping lift hooked normally and the main sheet
firmed up will reduce tension on the stays.
 I have a small ring tied with a bowline on to the topping lift about 30"
above the clip at the end of the line. When the sail is up I clip the line to
the end of the boom it doesn't interfere with sail shape. When the sail is
furled, I run the clip through the padeye at the end of the boom and clip it
to the ring. Then I tighten the main sheet, that way I don't have to unhaul
and haul the topping lift.

Paul Jones
P-15 Keysha2 #2059
Fairfield, Ca