Re: P15

From: Robert Skinner (robert@140.com)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 15:42:18 PDT

Wayne Dyson wrote:
> Hi, I've been a lurker on this list for longer than I care to admit, but
> have finally found a P15. It's about 20 years old but has been vandalized
> during storage. While the price is right, could anyone tell me if
> replacement windows are available, since they are broken. Also water has
> entered, is there anything specifically I should look for? Any help would
> be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Window are easily replaced with 1/8" smoked lexan.

Longtime standing water in the hull offers several possible problems.
Job one is getting the water out. May need to lift stern a little to
chase it to midships, where you can pump/sponge it out. Then (if
power is available) set a fan going to complete the job.

Mildew can be treated with a 50% solution of clorox -- but that
_requires_ a fan or new lungs. You may want to rock the boat around
to make sure that the clorox gets everywhere.

Finally, when you have all the accumulated dirt and fungus out of the
bilges, you need to check for rotten wood in the older boats --
specially around the transom. Rot in the wrong places can require
major -- but very possible and productive -- surgery via the cockpit
seats. Many people insert inspection ports in the cockpit seats to
allow them to do work back there.

Finally, you need to check for trouble around the centerboard box and
under the cabin floor. Powerful lights and mirrors help with this.
Proceed very carefully in these areas. I have heard of people
removing the cabin floor to increase cabin space and access to the
bilges. This could have structural consequences.

There are many people with older boats and more experience than I, and
I would defer to anything they have to say, but this may get you
started.

Good luck in your project. The Potters are worth a lot of effort.

--
Robert Skinner, Rockville, Maryland
'87 Potter 15 HMS #1618 "Little Dipper"