Re: Down and Dirty in the Potter

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 23:43:10 PDT

wrote:

>Anyone who can use a typical porta potti in a P-15 is a lot more limber than
>I am. For light jobs, I carry a portable male urinal that I acquired on my
>last hospital stay. They are available for less than $10 from any good
>medical supply store. I believe that West Marine and Campmor also carry
>similar items. For bigger jobs, I go ashore.

That's my practice also except I use an All detergent bottle for a urinal.
I do have a converted camping john installed in the port locker just
forward of the companionway bulkhead but rarely use it. That is the kind
that uses a toilet seat and plastic bags, supported on a tubular stool. I
omitted the stool and added a tube across the back of the locker so that
the seat is supported by the tube and the front wall of the locker. The
locker is shallow, but deep enough. I used the system successfully on a
three-day, two-night trip down the Sacramento many years ago. After each
use the disposable plastic bag was tied and deposited in a large trash
barrel bag, which was also kept closed. I lined the locker with vinyl cloth
as a backup, but there were no problems. I am 6 ft 1 in and could sit
comfortably facing inward. My unlined, first generation P14 may have a
little more headroom than the newer ones with the cabin liner, and the
locker may not be suitable on the newer Potters.

West Marine sells a urinal bottle for boating and also offers an adapter
for the ladies.

Someone else recommended using a Blitz oil drain container, sold in auto
supply stores. They have a lid that screws in securely to prevent any
leaks. Of course, it would have to be cleaned out at some point, or perhaps
you could use the camping john plastic bags as in my arrangement.

>Awhile back, someone on this list said that they carried a small bucket
>which they lined with a plastic bag. They tied the bag closed when
>finished, and toted it elsewhere for disposal. Sounds like a great idea as
>long as you don't buy your bags from the low bidder.
>A material failure would be a real mess.

That's a similar idea. You could buy the bags made for the purpose in the
camping department of any discount store. Be sure the bucket chosen is
stable and strong enough to support the weight.

>Someone also posted a web address for a low profile portable toilet designed
>for use in a kayak. I didn't save it, but maybe someone else did and can
>post it again.

Sounds interesting. I haven't seen any Porta-Potti types lower than around
12 inches. I have one that size and did a fit check in my Potter. It would
be possible, but certainly not comfortable.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA