Re: Bad mast raising experience

From: Eric Pederson (eric@nutfarm.org)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 07:00:06 PDT

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 04:09:50AM -0700, Nancy E. Wigal wrote:

> Had a mast raising disaster Friday.
> probably not readily easy to replace with a hand-held rivet tool. Great.
[snip]

Now that's no way to christen your new boat. You'll have to try again.
I think it's common to feel gunshy after such an experience. I have a
web page that shows how we use the mast raising system with my boat.
There might be some information there you can use.

http://www.foad.org/~elp/mastraising/

> What I now need is some help. Should the baby stays be taut? I have

They should be taut with the mast at a 45-degree angle. In other words,
halfway up. The mast will sway on the way up, but it shouldn't sway so far
that it crosses over your stern cleats.

> them loose. Since the mast raising rig is on the port side of boat, it makes
> sense that the mast would want to travel to the left. Any thoughts, tips,

That's also what happens to us. As you say, it makes sense.

> suggestions or help on how to avoid this disaster in the future? I accept

Practice in your driveway. Several times. Get comfortable with stepping the
mast in a no-pressure situation. Kinda like falling off a bike - you need
to just get back on and keep peddaling.

And you're right - don't assume that dockhands know anything about sailboats.

--
Eric L. Pederson
P-19 #970, Necessity