[WWP] Two Horsepower Motors

From: Bruce Hood (bhood@sunset.net)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 21:13:44 PDT

I have had three different two horsepower outboards.. the first, a
2 HP Honda that had a poorly designed carburetor that would dump
raw fuel into the intake port when you tilted the motor... To their
credit, Honda installed a different carburetor with a long skinny
floatbowl, and the motor worked beautifully ever after.. probably still
would be using it... but it was stolen.. replaced it with a two
horsepower
Yamaha 2-stroke which was a great motor, ten pounds lighter than the
Honda, and with a much smoother idle, and less vibration... but the
disadvantage of having to mix fuel and oil for it.. a little less
torquey
than the Honda, and not nearly so economical of fuel. The oily fuel
mixture seemed to almost be an advantage, as an anti-rust coating..
Then... Yamaha was stolen! (locked to transom mount with a cable lock..

the thief cut the cable!). Now have another two horse Honda, as I like
not having to mix fuel, and like the slightly more powerful and fuel
efficient qualities of the Honda.. but it does vibrate more harshly by
quite a bit than the Yamaha did. The two horse motors have powered us
home very nicely
in some fairly adverse winds and currents, pushing the P-15 along quite
well at half-throttle. I am quite sure that a 2 HP would not do for
powering a 19 except in fairly still water and for moving in and out of
a slip etc.

Now the best and coolest websites come right to you based on your
unique interests. eTour.com is surfing without searching.
And, it's FREE!