Re: [WWP] Geoff are you there?

From: gstahoe@aol.com
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 06:56:35 PDT

Hi, SF and Potterers!

I am here, although finding a phone line to do my E-mail is rare. I have
purchased my liveaboard. She is a 35 foot (fifteen foot beam) Island Packet
catamaran, called a Packet Cat. I have named her Jellicle Cat. The name
comes from the play, "Cats" The Jellicle Cat was the magic cat, the cat who
could always find his way home on a dark and stormy night.

I have been in Pensacola, Florida for the last two weeks doing boat stuff.
She's 'bout as ready as she's ever going to be. Right now I am waiting for a
person who is going to help me as crew down to Marathon Key from here. We
will be leaving Pensacola Friday night or in the wee hours of Saturday
morning.

Planning this trip is a pain in the butt. I was originally planning on
taking the Intercoastal waterway all the way. A problem has come up that I
never encountered with my P-15: The mast is too high. I have a 50 foot mast
with antennaes and other instruments that give me a minimum 53 foot
clearance. Too high for several bridges on the Intercoastal. This means
sailing across the Gulf of Mexico. That would not be my first choice for a
shake down cruise.

Once I get to Marathon, I'm not quite sure how long that will take with stops
and changes, but I imagine somewhere between one and two weeks, I will take a
rental car back up to Pensacola to get my van and Lollipop, which are resting
in a storage yard in Perdido Key right outside of Pensacola.

I've been living aboard Jellicle Cat for about two weeks now. I love being
here. I am also finding that living aboard a boat is a full time job in
itself. I seem to always have stuff to do on the boat.

Anyway, that's progress to this point. I'm not sure when I'm going to be
able to send this note, so some of the information may be old by the time I
send it. I may be old by the time I send it. Oh well.

Geoff

P-15 Lollipop
Sail (hull?) number: 1961
N. Lake Tahoe, NV and