[WWP] Some growing pains

From: EagleLGS@aol.com
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 16:41:49 PDT

Ted Duke suggested I post this to the lists, as it may be amusing if not
informative. There some lessons to be learned however.

Larry Samuels
Sea Eagle P19 545 SR
Lou. KY

Subj: RE: Short Rig!
Date: 5/2/2000 6:39:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From: tduke@rockbridge.net (Ted Duke)
To: EagleLGS@aol.com, ryeg@vais.net

Larry,

Enjoyed your email. My first sail I motored out a quarter of a mile (at Belle
Haven-Rye knows the place) and lowered the keel and raised the sails. The
wind was blowing but I wasn't moving. Took me about 3 minutes to realize I
had about 2 ft of keel in the MUDFLATS. I raised the keel and motored to
where the other boats were sailing. Everyone waved and I am sure hid their
laughs.

On another early sail upon return to the ramp I was trying to back away from
the ramp because there was a boat hung up and blocking the pier. However, the
wind was stronger than my Johson 6 in reverse. The damage to my boat was
slight, and the black mark on his was negligible and he was most understanding
(although the lady who was with him and could have fended off, didn't and then
ragged me considerably).

Ran into a shoal marker in the dark on my first and last night sail. <bg> We
had intended to ba anchored prior to dark, but we had water in the gas and we
were late. Trying to go between two little islands I hit something and the
Potter stopped. My wife shined the light up front and said it was something
white and she said "it says OAL on it". I backed up and finally figured out
it said SHOAL. I had misread the chart in the dark. We motored back to the
inlet where the marina is and dropped anchor for the night.

Have rounded up a time or two, and had the rudder popoff (a bent retainer
which I had failed to fix) and lost total control in high (for me) winds.
That was an experience I would rather NOT repeat. The wind was trying to
drive us up on the ONLY ROCK WALL on the lake.

I agree that slips are great to get you sailing quickly, but there's nothing
like trying out a new place.

BTW we should conduct these conversations on the Potter list, because it's
definitely more interesting than the politically correct or incorrect posts
and other trivia we seem subjected to periodically.

Might I suggest you repost this to the list. Might be inspirational to some
new sailor or give a laugh to someone who never makes a mistake! Like Rye??

Ted Duke, Fairfield, Virginia
1990 WWP-19 #626 "The Duchess"
   (short mast-long boom)