[WWP] Why steal?

From: Chris Beatty (chrisbeatty@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 22:47:59 PDT

Please excuse me while I vent for a minute. I just got back from the
marina, where I found Deep Blue all snug in her slot except she was missing
her outboard. At the foot of her stern, was a wrench and the lock that
once secured that (almost) three month old Nissan 5HP 4-stroke. Most
anybody who knows me, knows about Deep Blue. It is my "dream boat." It
also took every cent (and then some) I had to make her my own. So, of
course I can't go out and buy another $1297 motor so I can sail her
tomorrow. To those "purists" who claim to not need O.B.s, I don't have
much choice on the SF Bay--too many opportunities for disaster.

It sorta makes me ponder thieving: Who steals? I shudder to think that
this would be a sailor, could it be? Can a thief sell these used motors?
Who buys them? If someone offers you a used O.B., and it happens to be a
Nissan, and it just happens to have a serial number of 15918. Would you
let them know that they are a thief, and that there is a very disappointed
man out here. Resentments are a luxury I can't afford--that makes this a
doubly difficult situation for me.

Oh well, that did help. Thanks for listening! The police should be here
shortly to file the paperwork. Guess I'll call the insurance company
(there goes my 15% no loss discount)!

--- Chris Beatty
--- P19, #1176, "Deep Blue"
--- chrisbeatty@earthlink.net
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.

Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!