[WWP] Steering the P15 by shifting crew weight

From: Mike Stallings (stallings_mike@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 21:03:59 PDT

P15 Sailors,

     Today I learned that you can definitely steer the P15 with your weight
when going downwind. Also, the boat almost steers itself downwind, at least
if you are wing and wing. I tied the tiller off amidships, walked all
around the boat, hung out on the bow for a long time, and even read a
little. When the boat got off track a little I merely had to shift my
weight to the side. Works best when you are on the bow. To go to
starboard, shift your weight to port, and vice versa.

    (Exact configuration was: dead downwind, wing and wing, with a 150%
genoa out on a whisker pole. No passengers.)

     Also, I am finally starting to believe what I've heard before - the
genoa is slower to go upwind in light airs. It is definitely slower in
light, _variable_ winds, because it is too difficult to shift from side to
side as needed.

Mike
P15 #1589 Alexandria VA
www7.eWebCity.com/mikestallings