FW: [WWP] P-15 Galvinizing the keel

From: Ken Preston (preston@gencc.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 07:20:27 PDT

Yup. Did it. Glad I did. Wasn't terribly cheap, but. . .
1. Launch boat onto lawn (if gel coat is perfect you might want additional
padding. . .)
2. Remove loose fragile or heavy gear from the boat.
3. Have wife (and older son if available) help you roll boat up on one
side. It should sit there comfortably. . .however
4. Rig a 2x4 to keep the thing from blowing back over on you.
5. Don't flinch when the anchor you forgot in the bilge rolls down to the
other side.
6. Uncleat and unreeve the centerboard pendant line, unshackle the block
from the arm.
7. Pull the board to the fully down position (that'll be horizontal now),
wiggle it slightly toward the boat and aft and it will come free.
8. Set it down before you drop it on your toes. Mine was not terribly
heavy. . .I'd guess about 50 pounds.
9. If heavily rusted, consider finding a sandblast setup (probably at an
industrial paint shop) and get it done before you take it to be galvanized.
If not terribly rusty they will deal with it at the galvanizers. In my case
I just dumped it at the galvanizers, they "pickled" it (they soak it in
strong caustic and strong acid alternately to remove mill scale, varnish and
a lot of rust. . .)and that wasn't enough. They ended up also sand blasting
it. And that cost extra!!! Oh well. The thing is that galvanizing is an
industrial process and they deal in tons not pounds more often, so instead
of the 25 cents per pound that larger orders often amount to, our
centerboard gets charged a "minimum". At Ace Galvanizing in Seattle it was
$40. That suited me fine. . .but the $75 minimum for sandblasting was a bit
more of a lump to swallow. They had quoted the $40 over the phone and
finally just charged me the $75. . .could as well have been $115.
10. Take it home, put it back together and go sailing!
11. You might be interested in trying the "lever arm test" while you have
the board out (before galvanizing). The reason I did mine when I did was
the lever arm actually broke off while trailering to the launch ramp one day
so I had to get it welded. The factory weld (1981 vintage) had been
pathetic. Have a hard look at yours and maybe whack at it with a hammer a
bit to see if it's cracked at the joint.

Ken Preston
P-15 #1063, Bainbridge Is, WA