Re: [WWP] Amines, Epoxy, Polyester

From: Scott Pack (scott.pack@pictureiq.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 15:30:42 PDT

I don't claim to be an expert on these issues, although I'll begin to sound
like on soon. Another of my hobbies is designing and building full-composite
R/C sailplanes. Since I'd like to continue doing this for an indefinite period
of time, I've tried to educate myself on the issues surrounding epoxy.

Two points here. One, you should never handle epoxy resin without hand
protection. Epoxy resin is a skin sensitizer, exposure over a period of time
will cause you to develop an allergic reaction. It is not if, but when. There
are many cases of boat and aircraft builders that cannot even smell epoxy
without having a reaction. It is recommended that you wear vinyl gloves, latex
gloves do not provide a suitable barrier. Hand creams may work, but they need
to be formulated for epoxy. Denatured alcohol will clean tools. For skin,
don't use solvents as they simply drive the resin into the skin. Lots of soap
and water, and a scrub brush are all that is typically needed. If a solvent is
required, white vinegar is better than denatured alcohol. Never use acetone on
skin.

The other point is polyester resin, which I believe SF refers to a fiberglass
resin. Polyester is less of a skin sensitizer, but the smell it gives off will
literally drive you out of the vicinity, or you will succumb to the fumes.
Polyester resin does not have the same properties as epoxy, and you have to be
careful when bonding parts of dissimilar composition. For example, an item
that is made of polyester can be bonded to another item using epoxy. However
an item made of epoxy cannot be bonded to something else using polyester. Thus
for most projects the use of epoxy is suggested since if you don't know the
composition of the piece (i.e. your Potter - either polyester or epoxy), the
parts will bond okay (given the surface is clean, parts fit, etc.).

Cheers,

-Scott