RE: P19 Kickup Rudder

Eric Johnson (ej@blarg.net)
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 11:50:23 -0700

On Saturday, August 08, 1998 11:00 AM, GraphComm =
Services[SMTP:graphcom@whidbey.com] wrote:
> The only situation I can forsee when you would kick up the rudder is
> beaching, in which case you have to raise the board as well, and trust =
the
> OB for stearing. In that case, I say just take the rudder out of the
> gudgeons and set it in the cockpit.

I've done both. The kickup feature is handy for beaching. I wish the =
pivot point was higher up, so at the marina i can just kick up the lower =
section and not have it soaking in the water. If I were to build =
(another) new rudder, I'd probably just make it a one-piece, and =
probably fabricate it out of wood/fiberglass for light weight. The =
problem is, if you loosen the bolts enough to make it kick up easy, you =
get a lot of slop. also, when kicked up, the rudder becomes propeller =
meat if you're not careful. I think my rudder is longer than it needs to =
be, and also wider (for-and-aft) so some weight could be saved there =
too.=20

> If I am missing something, or have not thought of a special situation =
where
> the kickup is absolutely desireable, please let me know - I would hate =
for
> some litebulb in my feeble brain to light up after I had already =
replaced
> the rudder with the fixed version.

Basically, its handy on shallow beaches. Its hard to lean over the =
transon and remove a fixed rudder while drifting into the beach.=20
>=20
> Tom (leaving for the San Juan Islands and Canada in the Morning)
> P19 #352 Windsong

we await a trip report.
--=20
- ej@blarg.net ICQ#966008