Re: Repainting Trailers

Tim Spofford (tims@spof.org)
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 07:28:13 -0700

At 12:50 PM 08/28/1999 -0700, you wrote:

>In addition to the axle and bearings, I bought new U-bolt kits, new hubs,
>and new springs - everything more subtantial than the original.

Of course, you still have to remember to latch the hitch. Yesterday I was
hooking up in front of my house, one of my neighbors came along and admired
my boat and we chatted a bit, and wouldn't you know it I forgot to finish
what I was doing.

Fortunately when it came off, I was only going 10 mph, and the safety
chains worked. The boat is fine (I still sailed all day), the trailer only
needs a new connector to replace the old one, which torqued a bit, and I've
got a couple of nice gashes in the tailgate (fiberglass) of my Cherokee,
which - given that it just rolled past 100k miles, I may or may not bother
to fix. But it was a scare learning experience while it was going on.

Tim Spofford
Kirkland, Washington
P-19 #611 "Heron"