centerboard cleat problems

From: happy life skills foundation (hapilife@efn.org)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 14:22:13 PST

Hi folks!

Well, I was out on Lake Washington yesterday once again enjoying the
sailing (no one is ever out, only an occasional gravel barge, and the wind
is steady and strong).....and.....I bottomed out on something...and....the
centerboard began to raise....and....kinda pulled the cleat out partially.
One of the screws pulled most of the way out, the other is still in place.

My boat is a 1988 HMS p-15 which i believe was made during the time Joe
Edwards ran the company.

I often looked at this cleat and thought how flimsy the mount was to begin
with. And my cb box has no plywood on top either. this has been on my list
for some time to strengthen. and it seems the time has come......i guess i
have to stop sailing some time this winter for a little while any way...

Any one have any advice on how to repair and strengthen this cleat mount?

The guy who owned my boat had thought about moving the cb line aft into
the cockpit itself....so you'd have control over the cb even if the hatch
is shut.

I welcome all design and repair ideas around the cb line, the cb box
etc....

Thanks so much!

Ken Silverman, p-15 #1342 "Vegan Lorax", sailing in the sometimes shoal
waters of Lake Washington in Seattle