RE: Adobe Acrobat

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 13:19:24 PST

Eric Johnson wisely wrote:

>Isn't that what we're trying to accomplish here? :) I mean, it would be
>wonderful if we get an editor with HTML/DHTML/JAVA/etc expertise... but then
>they'd have to edit both an online page and a newsletter. If we gt someone
>who simply knows how to use >any< application that can create the
>newsletter, with acrobat, they can easily post it on the web. And since so
>many folks use acrobat anyways, most people have it installed.

That's what I meant, but I'm a little sorry I ever raised the subject.

Personally, I have problems making printouts from web sites. If I don't
anticipate the reduction factor correctly, I see sheet after sheet come off
the printer, each with just a piece of the page I was looking at. Or I have
to print out all the banners and assorted advertising surrounding the part
I really want.

PDF files retain all the layout of the original document and are easy to
print out if the original document was a standard page size.

I've never understood the strong feelings aboaut "html vs pdf.". They have
two different purposes. Html is basically for on-screen display, and
Acrobat is an easy way to distribute documents already formatted for
hardcopy - manuals, spec sheets, etc. The document may have been created on
some expensive software like Quark, PageMaker, or Illustrator, but all that
is needed to read it is the free Acrobat Reader. It was never intended for
web page layout.

Harry