Re: Fore deck Hatch Potter -15

From: Lars S. Mulford (mulford@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 05:18:00 PST

> Has anyone put a hatch in the front deck, of a P-15 so they could change
> head sails from the cabin? What are the practical aspects of this
> modification?
> >
> >Michael D. Campbell
> >P-15 #1683 "CAMPBELL's SLOOP"
> >Elmhurst, IL

Michael:

This is something I've considered in the past; not for changing heads'ls
(we're a lateen rig here) but more for allowing my young one a place to sit
forward more comfortably without worrying about the chunk of rig forward of
the mast pivoting about and possibly striking her. With a hatch in the
foredeck, she could sit on the cushions in the cabin and look with her head
out of the hatch.

But...

The deck is canted there, so mounting the hatch would require a jig in place
that matches the deck angle, which then raises the overall height of the
hatch. Also, it would take away somewhat one of the nice things about
having the lateen rig, and that is a completely uncluttered foredeck. So,
this is a mod we'll probably not do.

Using the hatch for heads'l changes, I'd think, would require the person
doing the changes to be pretty small. The size hatch that I'd need to get
through would possibly take up more space than would be safe to remove from
the foredeck.

--
"Sea" ya!

--Lars S. Mulford, President East Coast Potter Association (ECPA) Come visit us at http://members.tripod.com/~SpeedSailor s/v Always P15 #2125, lateen rig, sailing greater Chesapeake region "Forgive, and live. Life is worth the challenge of living." --LSSM "Love is good; Love hurts; Love sustains; Love remains." --LSSM