Bearing Buddies, bearing seals and grease!

From: Ted Duke (tduke@rockbridge.net)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 18:30:24 PST

Potterers,

FWIW, I have Bearing Buddies. I have lost two.

A gent who has run a marina and sold trailerable boats most of his
life told my son to tell me that I was using TOO much grease. I
haven't lost any buddies since. He said too much pressure will pop the
bearing buddy off or break the seals. Too much grease will also cause
the bearings to HEAT UP. He says there are several different
qualities of seals. Buy the best.

He recommends bearing buddies with a reasonable squirt of grease. He
says the problem of too hot is normally only a problem for power
boaters, us sailors take enough time to rig to allow the bearing to
cool. Well, most of us anyway. I haven't figured out how to get from
the highway to the water in less than 45 minutes with headcall, ramp
payment, rigging, waiting for the jetskiers, etc.

I guess I was lucky because I'm a long way from a boat store and
bought my bearings and seals at a bearing and seal supplier. Haven't
leaked in 4 years. If you don't know where a bearing supplier is, ask
a good mechanic or check:
http://www.motion-industries.com/locations.asp If you take your
bearings and seals in they will mike them and sell you what you need.
It's also possible if your seals are leaking you have the WRONG seal.
(I have no relationship with Motion Industries or any bearing product
folks).

Ted Duke
WWPs19 #626 The Duchess