Re: Secret to Brg Buddies & hub dunking formerly

From: Dennis W. Farrell (dfarrell@ridgecrest.ca.us)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 17:46:27 PST

Bob: I really wonder whether thermal expansion of air in a hub can generate
enough force to pop a Bearing Buddy off. I don't think (but also don't
know) that grease has that much of an expansion coefficient. [Time for our
ME's in the crowd to join in here.] They do have an overpressure spring.
For internal pressure to pop the Buddy off, it seems to me that the axial
force to pop the Bearing Buddy would have to be less than the force required
to move the piston against the relief spring. If that's the case, one should
be able to remove a Bearing Buddy by grabbing the Zerk fitting with a pair
of pliers and pulling<G>

What have you observed that makes you think it was air or other
overpressure?

  -- dwf