Re: P19 Mast Raising

From: Robert Skinner (robert@140.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 09:32:29 PST

"Thos. Westerman" wrote:
> This year I have invested in a SS bow connect point, some pulley hardware,
> etc and a winch crank. Dont plan on repeating the horror.

Would you provide a few details about how you secured the stay plate
to the bow to handle the longitudinal stress, what sort of winch you
used, how you secured it, What size and type of pulleys/sheaves you
used, and how you routed the forestay wire?

With the addition of a hinge at the base of the mast, it seems as if
this could be adapted to a P15 to allow lowering the mast for weather
and bridges...

Also - concerning procedure - do you simply hold the mast up to start
the raising process, or do you rig a bipod on the cabin roof? It
seems as if a bipod would be required to stabalize things, especially
in weather, and I wonder how you rig for raising/lowering the mast.

--
Robert Skinner, Rockville, Maryland
'87 Potter 15 HMS #1618 "Little Dipper"