Re: P-19 Back Stay

From: Bill Blohm (bblohm@hpbs1686.boi.hp.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 08:17:15 PST

I won't comment on the back stay although I have one. I'm not that
heavily into rig tuning yet, not having enough experience with the boat
to tell how it helps or not. For me, the back stay keeps my mast from
falling forward as I raise it. ;-)

As to the trailer guides, I'm assuming you mean those guides that help
center the boat on the trailer as you load. I will not go back to not
using them. I went with the 4' side board type, mounted as far back on
the trailer as practical. Before installing them, I could not ensure
that I would have the boat centered when I pulled out. I"d had to back
back into the water a couple of times. Since installing them, I have had
no problems centering the boat over the trailer bunks and rollers. They
also made it easier to handle the boat while loading by helping to keep
it from drifting to one side of the trailer or the other in the wind.
They do make it a little harder to launch in that you have to clear them
before pulling the boat over to the dock, and similarly you have to feed
the boat around their ends before you can pull it up. All that takes is
a slight change in where you tie up before getting the trailer and
pushing it a little harder off the trailer to clear the two side boards.

IMHO, they're worth it.

Bill B.
P-19 #454, Dream Catcher
Nampa, ID