Re: removing keel

Dennis W. Farrell (dfarrell@ridgecrest.ca.us)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 13:02:19 -0700

I have removed my P-15 keel/centerboard while (more or less) on the
trailer. The key is to roll the boat back on the trailer enough for the cb
to clear the axle. It may also be necessary to jack up the aft end of the
boat slightly, though I don't remember for sure if this was required. If
you slide the boat aft, make sure that the front of the trailer is held
down. Perhaps hitched to your vehicle ?

As a side note, I had the delightful experience of having the cb come off
the pivot and drop whilst I was trailering. It dropped all the way to the
pavement, wearing off about 1/4" of the fwd lower corner. It also jacked
up the boat a bit so that all the boat weight was resting on the fwd roller
and the tip of the cb. I used a bit of 2x4 to pry the boat up enough to
take the weight off the cb, slid the boat aft on the trailer, and reset the
CB.

-- dwf
M-15 #189 -- I haven't lived with her long enough yet to have learned
her name --
P-15 #1086 "PELICAN" -- 'Tis better to putter with a Potter than
potter with a putter !
Ridgecrest, CA