Re: removing keel

Mark (apresvous@pobox.com)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:49:25 -0700

RSKARAM@aol.com wrote:

> Dear Paul:
> I don't believe you can remove the P-15 keel unless it is down. When the
> keel is down, you merely have to pull it straight up and it will come out. If
> your boat is on a trailer that doesn't allow the keel to come down, I don't
> believe you will be able to remove the keel while the boat is on the trailer.
> Richard S. Karam
> P-15 #2098
> Oklahoma City

On some of the early P-14's you can remove the board while the boat is on the
trailer, if you remove the trim piece on the forward end of the centerboard trunk.

With the boat on the trailer, the board is horizontal in the trunk. You push down on
the board where it extends forward of the trunk, thus raising the other end of the
board slightly above the trunk. I use a large, sturdy C-clamp (tightened as tight as
I could clamp it) to hold the aft end of the board up. This provides a handle for the
assistant. Now slide the board forward and lift up. It should come out easily -- I
did it by myself the first time. (I'll use a helper to put it back.)

Take care,
Mark