Re: Scandalising using the Topping lift

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 10:03:13 -0700

While visiting friends over the weekend, I had a chance to thumb through
their copy of "Sail Power" by Wallace Ross - an excellent book,
unfortunately out of print accoriding to Amazon.com.

Although Ross does not refer to it as "scandalizing" he does discuss
raising the boom to intentionally increase sail twist. Increasing twist
de-powers the top portion of the sail, moving the center of effort down
closer to the boat. His remarks are made in the context of reducing the
angle of heel.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion caused by my earlier post.

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632

Subject: Re: Scandalising using the Topping lift
Author: Non-HP-Airfielduk (Airfielduk@aol.com) at hp-boise,mimegw7
Date: 9/2/98 3:51 AM

I mentioned 'scandalising' a while ago BUT ONLY in the context of what to do
with the mainsail in light wind when busy with other things like entering a
marina or picking up a mooring. The method is to take up the boom of the
mainsail with the topping lift to give headroom while standing at the tiller
and to reduce drive from the sail. At this point the foresail may have been
furled or lowered as well.

With the boom elevated it would be usual to let the mainsheet run free [beware
of the boom swinging as you would at all other times]. With the mainsheet
slack there will be little danger of the main sail filling and causing all the
predicted troubles mentioned in earlier postings. As helmsman you have to
keep a watch on all sorts of other things so no excuses.

The main sheet can from time to time be hauled in to produce a little drive as
part of the manoeuvring process, as required. Never while under way should
the mainsheet or the helm be unattended. That doesn't mean you may not use
devices like tiller tamers or tricks like scandalising. It means that you
keep yourself aware of what's happening ALL the time. You must use them for
what they are worth, IF they are appropriate. Many capsizes have been caused
by unattended sheeted in and cleated mainsails. Perhap I should also say that
Potters were designed to have the centre-plate/board lowered all the time,
except when in very shallow water. Mine [galv. steel] stays down when at
anchor or on a mooring except when I know that the tide will leave us dried
out at some time. Stability is thus not compromised.

Scandalising is a old salt's gaffer term any way, not really for bermudan
rigged sloops like mine. To quote the OUD, scandalising is ' To reduce the
area of a sail by lowering the peak and tricing up the tack'. My method only
raises the leach and then on a very temporary basis. Reefing (to or around
the boom) will reduce the area of sail exposed in a bermudan (marconi) rig.

See also Lee Page's recent remarks.

Good sailing

Bruce Longstaff

URSA MINOR AX06
UXBRIDGE GB

Terms: Peak - self evident, Tack = lower forward corner of a sail, Leach =
aftmost lower corner of a sail, Luff = forward or windward edge of a sail.