Re: Whereabouts of Authors

Gordon (hlg@pacbell.net)
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 13:01:52 -0700

Bill Foden wrote:

>I am a great admire of the WWP and this site. I have just ssubscribed to
>become a member of the group. I am interested in learning the location, or
>communicating with, several of the authors of the articles on the WWPr page.
>
>The reason is that I am most interested in these authors is that I am an avid
>small boat lover and subscriber to "Messing About in Boats" -- which I I'm
>sure numbers of WWPr sailors are -- and would like to get permission from the
>authors to re-print their articles in MAIBs. The authors/articles I am most
>interested in are --
>
>Small is Beautiful -- Larry Brown -- I know Larry is the author of "Frugal
>Yachting" -- but so far his publisher -- International Marine -- has not
>responded to my request for information on how to contact him.

Larry Brown has never been on our mail list (we wish he were), and I don't
know of anyone who has been able to contact him. Perhaps International
Marine, the Potter manufacturer, has an address on file since Larry has
owned a couple of Potters, and his P15 was custom built. The other
International Marine, the publisher, would probably forward mail addressed
to Brown care of International Marine. Since Brown is a professional author
he may not be interested in contributing to MAIB without pay (or does MAIB
pay for articles?).

>Potter 15 Liveaboard -- Reese Tucker

That article has been reprinted in the Potter, the newsletter of
International Marine (the Potter manufacturer). Reese was also a
contributor to the Potter Yachter (the newsletter of our
Northern-California-based Potter Club, the Potter Yachters), and I found
the following address in a 1994 Potter Yachter. (Reese is not a current
member of the Potter Yachters.)

Reese H. Tucker
3711 Huntwood Rd
Richmond, VA 23235

>October Potter -- Stanley Smith

Stanley Smith was the designer of the West Wight Potter. I have a Xerox
copy of "October Potter." It was apparently published as a 19-page booklet,
probably for advertising purposes. The author is identified as Stanley C.
Smith, Managing Director, West Wight Plycraft Ltd, Ward Road, Totland Bay,
I.W., England. The back cover says "Printed in England for Stanley T. Smith
by Lightbowns Ltd., Ryde, I.W." Smith died some years ago, and West Wight
Plycraft no longer exists. I have no idea who has the rights to "October
Potter" or if reprint rights were obtained for the WWP web page.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA
Potter Yachters Web Editor