Re: Batteries

Gordon (hlg@pacbell.net)
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 10:29:32 -0800

>Bard Johnson
>San Jose, CA wrote:

>Harry:
>
>Hope you are removing the covers from those Rubbermaid boxes when
>charging the batteries, or else venting the boxes. Would hate to lose
>you to a big hydrogen bomb boom.

My batteries aren't secured or covered yet, so I'm not ready to sail with
them. I've just taken it out for a first motor test then recharged them
while they are uncovered. I will provide for venting of hydrogen when I
cover the batteries. I connect the charger clips at my junction box in the
cockpit, not at the batteries, so I won't be making any arcs near the
hydrogen source, and the charger clips won't get corroded by the battery.

>I use those Rubbermaid and other manufacturers' plastic containers all
>over the inside of my P-19 to keep things dry when the rainwater trys to
>fill the interior.

I just bought two Rubbermaid 18 qt boxes yesterday at Walmart, and they
appear to be a nice size for series 24 batteries, probably just a tad small
for 27s. I like the positive attachment of the covers. I now have three
sets of battery boxes but will probably return the more expensive West
Marine boxes since the Rubbermaids look better for my application.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA