Re: chainplate leaks fixed

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:47:46 EST

In a message dated 11/9/98 10:18:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
eric@theftnet.net writes:

> So, I cleaned 'em up, slathered lifecaulk
> (polysulfide) in the slot, reinstalled the deckplates, then smoothed
> everything out with a wet soapy finger. I also erected the mast so the
caulk
> would set in the normal postion it would be when the mast is up (due to the
> tension on the stays, etc).

It's been recommended to me that, when using polysulfide caulking, you let it
set with partial tension (tightened down but not fully) on the fitting for a
day or so. Then you tighten it down the rest of the way. Letting it set
first provides a gasket, then tightening it fully ensures no leaks.

Speaking only from previous advice, not experience,

Judith Blumhorst, DC
Danville, CA
WWP-19 #266 "Redwing"