Re: Keel and boom questions-P-15

RSKARAM@aol.com
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:03:58 EST

Dear Jeff
To supplement my prior remarks about extending the boom. The outhaul cap
that I and others are recommnending has about a three inch flange that fits
inside the boom. I was unable to completely fit the three inches inside of
the boom, thus making the extension even longer. The reason I was unable to
fit the flange inside of the boom was because of the eyes that were attached
to the end of the boom with rivits. For reasons of my own I didn't want to
remove them.
You may be having another problem. When I first got my prior P-15 #1249 I
was unfamiliar with sailing with a loose footed mainsail. I wanted the
mainsail pulled taunt on the boom. As time went on I learned that it should
only be pulled taunt when there was a great deal of wind. It sails best in
light and moderate winds when it is a bit loose.

My current P-15 I suspect has a heavier center board (I would really
appreciate someone verifying this suspicion). My P-15 #1249 had concerete
balast blocks in the bilge. The heavier center board in my P-15 #2098 makes a
discernable difference. Of course my alleged discernable difference is merely
a halucination if the centerboard is not in fact heavier.

Richard S. Karam
P-15 #2098 Oops
Oklahoma City