Re: Outboards & Minn Kota's

Gordon (hlg@pacbell.net)
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:56:25 -0800

Your Sovereign is apparently much easier to drive than a P14.

If your Endura has fixed speeds, it probably doesn't have the Maximizer
pulse-width modulation.. The fixed speed settings are just different
resistors. One of the advantages of the Maximizer is the infinite speed
control, in addition to longer battery life. The pulsing frequency is
probably quite high, so any vibration I feel at higher power settings
probably just comes from the propeller. The vibration is barely detectable
through the motor tiller on the RT-70S, even at max speed, and it's
actually rather pleasant. The motor is almost totally silent to my ears,
but I have a high frequency hearing loss. (I worked on jets in the Navy
before they thought of using ear protection on the flight line.)

I've only had Manatee out one time so far with the electric motor. The
rains came as soon as I launched at last Sunday's club sail, so I never
left the dock on what would have been my second test..

I think I will enjoy the electric. When I've used it more I'll have a
better idea of what kind of duration to expect. I don't presently have any
instrumentation on the boat to show state of charge or how many amps I'm
using at a particular setting.

I suspect I might get more duration with a smaller motor, but I had hoped
that the bigger motor would be just as efficient at lower settings.

The additional 90 pounds of the two batteries has not made the boat any
harder to launch or recover. On my first launch, when I unhooked the strap
and tilted the trailer up, the boat slid off the trailer so fast that the
line I was holding burned my hand and I had to let go, and the boat
collided with the dock - with the brand new motor taking the blow. It
turned the motor but didn't break anything. Last Sunday I set my Tiller
Tamer before launching so the stern would swing away from the dock. That
worked okay but I had to move fast to grab a line and make sure Manatee
didn't hit some rocks in the other direction.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA