Re: ADV:CREDIT CARD CRAP

Derek Jensen (djensen@teleport.com)
Wed, 09 Dec 1998 12:14:43 -0800

Group,

I agree with these latest setinments. By calling, mailbombing, etc., you are
playing into the hands of the spammer. Many of them are fronts for organizations
that are setup to snatch your reply address and spread that around. By using
the SolarFry method of replying to the spammer, you are advertising your
own address in the reply field, and the savy spammer now has a real address
to use and sell. They will frequently use a fake "from" field so that you can't
filter them out with a Kill file or any other inbox filter.

As far as the web page list of email addresses, I certainly wouldn't want mine on
there, and I often wonder how many of our addresses are gleaned from the
message archives.

It seems that limiting the listserve to only forward messages from group members
would be the most painless way to stop SPAM messages from being broadcast,
and I would highly recommend that individuals NEVER reply to a SPAM message
directly. If you feel like fighting, try sending a message with all included headers to
the "abuse" mailbox for the domain that is actually sending the message (this can be
hard to detect, though). The original domain is usually buried in the more complex
headers that indicate the routing of the message.

Happy sailing to those in temperate climes'. I am bracing for some frostbiting
sometime soon, after all I am willing to face high winds and freezing cold
on the Ski lifts, why not my boat!

Derek Jensen
p-15 #496 "El Nino"
Portland, OR.