CDI FURLER and NEW SAILS

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 00:11:59 EST

In a message dated 12/13/98 6:43:15 PM Pacific Standard Time, tduke@cfw.com
writes:

> Just ordered a CDI FF1 furler, hardware kit and sail mod kit and suncover
> kit from SAILRITE. They are cheapest I could find. They informed me
> prices go up 1 Jan 99, and hardware kit ($51) is free in December until
> they run out. If you are contemplating one, look into it. NO, I do not
> have any financial interest in CDI, Sailrite or whoever involved with
> sailing.

I just orderder one from SAILRITE too. I search the 'net and, like Ted, found
they were the cheapest.

> Rainy, windy and cold here. Water at Smith Mountain Lake was down 7 (YES
> 7) feet Thursday afternoon. Some boats sitting in mud. No wind or I might
> have sailed for an hour. Had to go measure my NON standard SHORT mast
> Potter 19 forestay and sails.

I called/emailed/faxed four sail lofts for quotes on sails. The first set of
quotes I received varied by $400. When I inquired what the finished
measurements of the sails were, they varied all over the place, and certainly
were significantly different from what IM sells. The prior owner of my P-19
had made changes to the sails, so I went over to Jerry Barrilleaux' and
measured his sails. I faxed the info to the same lofts and am waiting for new
quotes.

By the way, the cloth I am using is "high modulus" (meaning low-stretch)
dacron in 5 oz for the main and 4 oz for the lapper. Scott at IM told me
their sails are cut from "old fashioned" dacron, not the high modulus cloth,
and made of 3.8 or 3.9 oz cloth. We sail on windy San Francisco Bay, and all
the sailmakers recommended using 5 oz for the main so that it would hold its
shape longer. They recommended 5 oz for the smaller jib, and 4 oz for the
lapper. Also, they recommended a light weight UV edge cover, not the heavier
sunbrella. The liteweight UV stuff doesn't last as long (probably 2-4 years)
but the sail will have a better shape, especially in lighter winds.

Our one-design one-man dinghies use 3.8 oz "old-fashioned" dacron, and the
decline in performance in just one season is noticable. So I think the 5 oz
"high-modulus" is a good idea. The down-side of using 5 oz for the mainsail
is that it won't shape as well in really light winds.

Oh, and I measured our P-19 #266 and compared it to Jerry's. Ours has a mast
that is 21' 6" (Jerry's is 22') and our boom sits 6 inches lower. Our boat
has the following measurements:
I= 18'10"(actual stay length),
J=7',
P=19'3" and
E=8'1".

However, I caution others about ordering "standard" sails from a loft based on
those measurements. The formulae they use for the foresails don't produce
sails that are anything like the sails that come with a P-19! From what I've
learned in this process, "standard cruising sails" have much shorter luffs and
longer LP's (thats the length perpendicular from the luff to the clew) than
the ones we're accustomed to. P-19 sails are cut much more like racing
foresails -- the luffs are longer and the LP's are shorter for a sail of a
particular square footage.

For example, a Potter lapper is rumored to be a "110" jib. This usually means
that the LP is 110% of the J measurement. So, normally, that means that the
LP of a 110% would be 7.7 feet. However, a Potter lapper has a luff of
17'6"., a leech of 14' 8-1/4", a foot of 8"5" and an LP of 6' 10-1/4". It's
taller and skinnier. It "laps" the mast because the clew is up so high, not
because its LP is 110% of J.

It's interesting to note that both the "normal" 110% and the Potter
"110/lapper" have approximately the same sail area of 60 square feet, but
their shapes are completely different. With its longer luff, the Potter
lapper "covers" the main more and I would think that it improves air flow by
having a longer "slot" between the jib and the main.

The other measurements for Jerry's sails were:
Mainsail: Foot: 7'11", luff 19'2"
working jib: luff 14', leech 10' 7-1/2", foot 6' 8-1/4", LP 4'7"
Lapper: Luff 17'6",leech 14' 8-1/4", foot 8"5", LP 6' 10-1/4

> Merry Christmas to all;
>
> Ted Duke
> WWPs19 #626
> Mountains of Virginia

Season's greetings to all,

Judith Blumhorst, DC
WWP-19 #266 "Red Wing" - waiting patiently for a new set of wings....
San Francisco Bay area, CA