Re: Potter 19' Mast Raising

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 17:15:14 -0800

JBlumhorst@aol.com wrote:

> We have a quick pin for the forestay at the bow chainplate. The quick pin is
> tied to the bow pulpit with 12" of thin line so it can't go swimming. Make
> sure you use a solid quickpin with the little ball bearings, not the hollow
> tube kind with the thumb-push release. Our rigger told us that the hollow-
> tube ones can bend when the forestay is loaded and then you have to cut it
> with a hacksaw to get it out. He said the hollow ones won't fail, but they
> can get stuck if they bend.

You'd better check the archives, because I remember stories among this
group of the quick pin coming out suddenly and releasing the headstay
and everything it held up. It was not my experience, but I'm sure I
remember it.

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a Capri 16, #74,
and saleing a Potter 14, #561, in San Diego.
"Everything is everything!"
OLDSURFDUDE