Re: Potter Quality

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 01 Jan 1999 16:54:03 -0800

Spooner wrote:

> I am in the market for a new P-19 and have not seen one for about 5
> years (a potter that is) and am wondering how the quality and fit and
> finish on a new boat stacks up against the more popular brands like
> catalina etc.

I don't know, however, I respond because...

> The reason I am asking is I stopped by a catalina, capri
> dealer and the sailsman had a bad case of tunnel vision, in his "humble
> opinion" everything else was junk, like compact, potters and some other
> (he may have been talking about sailing speed though)
> I did feel though that those new capris and catalinas were
> pretty well put together but to racie looking for me as I like more
> cabin space with the shippy look to it!

I recently bought a 1991 Capri 16, without knowing much about it, except
that I thought it was the right size and price. I have been really
pleasantly impressed at how excellent are both the construction and
sailing qualities. So,... I think he is right about Catalina products,
wrong about other products, many of which are good also, and I agree
with you about the look, which I don't like either. The sailing
qualities keep me from dumping the boat though.

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a Capri 16, #74,
and saleing a Potter 14, #561, in San Diego.
"Everything is everything!"
OLDSURFDUDE