Re: Book - Longitude (sextant?)

Jerry & Pat Menzies (gempsm@clemson.campus.mci.net)
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 21:43:29 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BE3B4F.EE128980

From: Scott <sfoshee@NMLRP.nmlrp.com>
To: West Wight Potter - Post <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Date: Friday, January 08, 1999 12:29 PM
Subject: Book - Longitude (sextant?)
=20
Scott,
=20
I have not yet read the book, however I did see a special on PBS =
which was a re-enactment of the story by Dava Sobel. They interviewed =
her as well and is a very interesting lady. =20
=20
Regarding your question about the sextant. The answer is yes, I =
have been a disciple of celestial navigation for quite some time. =
Several years ago I decided I wanted to learn the art and took the ASA =
course at Lake Laniar Sailing Academy, just outside of Atlanta. It has =
captivated me to the point where I can't seem to get enough. It has =
opened up another world to me, the relationship of our earth to the =
sun, moon, planets and navigational stars. I have since been certified =
as an ASA Celestial Navigation Instructor and look forward to teaching =
others the art. =20
=20
As you can tell, I am an addict. I was extremely disappointed when =
I read in one of the sailing magazines that the Navy Academy this past =
year changed a long standing practice and no longer requires Celestial =
for the cadets to graduate. As those of us who have been around for a =
few years knows, Murphy strikes at the most critical times. I believe =
it foolhardy for any serious blue water sailor to put all their trust in =
electronic equipment (loran, GPS, etc) which can and does fail. =20
=20
Anyway be warned. If you go much further I believe the bug will =
bite and you will be another convert. Good luck. =20
=20
Jerry Menzies
Clemson, SC

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BE3B4F.EE128980

-----Original = Message-----
From:=20 Scott <sfoshee@NMLRP.nmlrp.com>To:=20 West Wight Potter - Post <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Dat= e:=20 Friday, January 08, 1999 12:29 PM
Subject: Book - = Longitude=20 (sextant?)

Scott,

I have not yet read the book, = however I did=20 see a special on PBS which was a re-enactment of the story by Dava=20 Sobel.  They interviewed her as well and is a very interesting=20 lady.

Regarding your question about = the=20 sextant.  The answer is yes, I have been a disciple of = celestial=20 navigation for quite some time.  Several years ago I decided I = wanted=20 to learn the art and took the ASA course at Lake Laniar Sailing = Academy,=20 just outside of Atlanta.  It has captivated me to the point = where I=20 can't seem to get enough.  It has opened up another world to = me, =20 the relationship of our earth to the sun, moon, planets and = navigational=20 stars.  I have since been certified as an ASA Celestial = Navigation=20 Instructor and look forward to teaching others the art.  =

As you can tell, I am an = addict.  I was=20 extremely disappointed when I read in one of the sailing magazines = that the=20 Navy Academy this past year changed a long standing practice and no = longer=20 requires Celestial for the cadets to graduate.  As those of us = who have=20 been around for a few years knows, Murphy strikes at the most = critical=20 times.  I believe it foolhardy for any serious blue water = sailor to put=20 all their trust in electronic equipment (loran, GPS, etc) which can = and does=20 fail.

Anyway be warned.  If you = go much=20 further I believe the bug will bite and you will be another = convert. =20 Good luck.

Jerry Menzies
Clemson,=20 SC
------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BE3B4F.EE128980--