RE: Polyester Hulls and freezing bilges

Eric Johnson (ej@tx3.com)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:17:45 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BE409A.343851C0

I don't think any large-scale production boats use Epoxy. My bet is that
since potters are built to be cheap, its gotta be polyester.

Have any of you EVER had blisters? It might just not be a problem on
potters, for whatever reason.
-----Original Message-----
From: Rye Gewalt [mailto:ryeg@vais.net]
Sent: Friday, January 15, 1999 3:13 PM
To: wwpotter@tscnet.com
Subject: Polyester Hulls and freezing bilges

Judy B. Wrote:
The Gougeon Bros, manufacturers of the West Epoxy System, state
....Virtually ALL boats are constructed of polyester-resin fiberglass
laminate, not epoxy.

I never gave this much thought because of a bias I got from reading all
of the literature from the Epoxy vendors and really thought that most of the
boats were build with Epoxy. Maybe they are all polyester. (perhaps that
were all the leisure suits went from the '70s). Is anybody sure what IM
uses?

On the effects of standing water.... I think that standing water in the
bilge would be a real problem in areas where there is a freeze thaw cycle
even in small amounts. With the mold release angles in the boat it probably
isn't a problem in areas like the smooth cockpit, but down below where the
ice can get hold of the rough surfaces of the inner hull I would expect some
damage. Probably both at the macro level where the whole structure is
stressed and at the micro level where the ice gets into the nooks and
crannies and loosens things up. One would hope that the plastic properties
of fiberglass would help -- but Ice does some amazing things.

Of course when it's in a glass with some spirits it OK.....

Regards
Rye Gewalt
Springfield VA
90 HMS 18 with short rig

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BE409A.343851C0

I=20 don't think any large-scale production boats use Epoxy. My bet is that = since=20 potters are built to be cheap, its gotta be polyester. =

Have=20 any of you EVER had blisters? It might just not be a problem on potters, = for=20 whatever reason.