P19 Cabin mast support/compression post relocation/elimination sketch

SolarFry@aol.com
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:41:03 EST

I like to live with a lil danger... I also prefer adopting a
positive view towards everything. After dropping out of
engineering school to pursue my degree in Business I
have continued to be racked by engineering mindstorms
and a belief that if there's a will... By Golly, there must
be a way...

I am fwding graphic to interested parties only.
See attached rough sketch.

I believe, with a crossbeam, the mast support post could be
removed. As an after-market option, I would be happy with
just relocating it next to dgrbrd well and installing crossbeam.

To my mind it would be easier to make the crossbeam, knee
and braces molded into cabin while in mold at factory. This
would provide necessary stiffening. Using aluminum for
crossbeam and glassing to cabin roof, sides while in mold
would really make it lighter, not rotting and much, much
stronger. Hmm... Coefficients of expansion check needed.

As to cost,
* 12' x 3" x 3/8" solid aluminum beam would run about
$25 at wholesale providing enough material to make knees
and braces.
* The whole piece could be heliarc welded avoiding
bolts for about $100.00 labor
* glassing to cabin while at factory would probably
require about 1 hour of labor and at most 2 quarts of
resin, about another 100 bucks.

I believe the whole thing could be made an option on
newer vessels and would add about $250.00 to production
costs. The option could be sold for about $4 - 500.00.

Once you start producing/mfg. in quantity you could
have a machine/welding shop deliver heliarced crossbeam/
braces/knees for less than $110.00 delivered/each. (you
could probably get them made in Mexico and save $$)
Glassing it in during lay-up could be accomplished at
factory for about another $125.00, or less, a piece.
A potential profit of $400 - 235 = $165

IMHO:
With temp removal of dgrbrd raise/lower cables this
modification would show a clean view of fwd bunk
and provide easy non contortionist access to it.
Once you show boat without CMP to a customer
he will appreciate extra space and ability to walk to fwd
berth without having to go through a million contortions.
It could even make sex less painful aboard {;^). Ah...
The Potter sex machine... Sorry! couldn't help myself...

This is just an initial idea... Maybe there is an easier
more economical way... Let's see what comes out...

Best
SF
See IM reply and different responses/viewpoints below.

In a message dated 1/29/99 3:13:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, uffda@sonic.net