Re: BAD YEARS TO AVOID IN USED P19s ? AND Refinishing CB

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 14:36:19 EST

In a message dated 1/31/99 11:54:26 PM Pacific Standard Time, Magico1@aol.com
writes:

> never liked the painted keels for salt water sailing, they are a real rust
> problem.

Hi all,

Our P-19 has one of the non-galvanized keels. Circa 1994, the previous owner
had it dissassembled and dropped through the hull, sandblasted and epoxied and
re-installed. It's holding up well. I have the boatyard invoice somewhere;
I think it cost about $250-300 for the job. This was more of an issue for him
than it will be for me, since he kept the boat in the water.

I also think you could do the job yourself somehow in stages - do the top half
with the keel raised and the bottom half with the keel down.

There are metal coating shops everywhere that can hot-dip galvanize any metal.
Of course, you gotta catch 370 pounds of steel as it drops....

I've also heard that IM has a super cheap price on replacing the P-19 keel
with a galvanized one if you go to their factory.

Regards,
Judith Blumhorst, DC
WWP-19 1985 #266 "Red Wing"
SF Bay, CA