Re: hatch modifications

Bill Blohm (bblohm@boi.hp.com)
Thu, 04 Feb 1999 14:32:22 -0700

An easier one: I can't claim credit for this one, it came with
my P-19. Take some cloth screen, cut it an inch or two larger
than the hatch. Get some chain and duct tape the chain to the
edges of the screen. When you lay the screen over the forward
hatch, the chain holds it down quite nicely. The same thing
works just fine over the companionway hatch, the chain lies
over the sliding part, down the sides, and hangs below the
opening. Used it last summer, and it worked great. Plus, it was
a simple matter to move in and out of the cabin through both
hatches, just lift the screen aside and put it back. Additionally,
the whole thing bundles up into a very compact package, easy to
store. One modification I intend to make is to sew the chain to
the screen, cutting new screen wider and longer enough to wrap
back over the chain and sew down. Maybe use a piece of cloth
to hold the chain and provide better sewing purchase than just
the screen would.

Bill B.
P-19 #454, "Dream Catcher"
Nampa, ID