Re: Got any spare sail track?

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 14:41:54 EST

In a message dated 2/8/99 10:56:56 AM Pacific Standard Time, eric@theftnet.net
writes:

> Does anyone out there have a small length (6" should be enough) or sail
> track (any width) floating around? I'd like to add a small bit to the end
of
> my boom for holding down the clew of the main to the boom, but I'd rather
> not spend $40 for a 6-foot length of it. A small chunk of something like
> genoa block or traveller car track would work too.

Hi Eric,

Yup. I think I still have the piece of inexpensive track I took off the boom
on the 13 footer I re-rigged for for my daughter to learn to sail on. But I
would ask you to consider the following -- why did I take it off?

IMHO, a slippery piece of 7/64" Spectra at about $0.40 works *better* than a
track, unless you want to buy a really expensive, low friction outhaul car and
track. The track requires a slide, and those cheap stainless ones just don't
slide very smoothly. IMHO, a cheap track is just not worth the aggravation of
using it. You don't get any better performance out of your boat from a track
than you do from a piece of line or velcro strap.

Spectra braid, on the otherhand, is slippery as a seal, costs less than fifty
cents a foot (you need less than two feet), and has a breaking strength of
about 2000 pounds.

You can have it if you still want it. You'll have to drill holes in your
boom.....

Regards,
Judy B.