Re: Pocket cruiser--Cruising World

Ron Force (rforce@uidaho.edu)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:07:35 -0800

Eric Johnson wrote:
> > Hi, all--
> >
> > The latest issue of Cruising World has the editor's choices for Boat
> > of The Year, in eight categories--the smallest category is "Pocket
> > Cruiser," and the one that they chose is 29' long.
>
> thats about the smallest boat that the advertisers of "Charter World" offer
> for hire, so I'm not surprised :) I find SAIL often has things more
> interesting for smaller boats, even if their focus is on racing.

In this month's Sail, they feature a "camping cruiser" in "Just
Launched". The Longshore 19 displaces 2,425 lbs, with a 7 foot beam and
a draft of 1 ft. 6 inches (no board). It has a sprit rig on a "10 lb.
carbon fiber mast" and a roller-furling jib. Berths for two adults and
a small child, plus basic cooking facilities. With a 10 hp diesel, teak
decks, a portable head and electric refirgeration it's $27,485. The
outboard version is $22,000.

Makes the Potter seem relatively reasonable, eh?
Ron Force rforce@uidaho.edu
Dean of Library Services (208) 885-6534
University of Idaho Moscow 83844-2350