Re: Re-rigging the P-19 - Marketing paranoia rampant!

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:29:30 -0800

I wonder it it would be safe to argue that the loads around the thimble are
actually carried by two wires (the load being split at the swedge) and are
therefore rather unlikely to break there?

A friend of mine broke a 1x19 shroud and dismasted his Laser 2 recently. It
broke neither at the thimble or the swedge, but had corroded underneath the
white plastic covers he had put on. Keep in mind that Laser 2 rigging has
to deal with trapeze and spinnaker loads in addition to those that a Potter
has.

On the topic of Moitessier and galvanized wire - I believe he was also a
proponent of those U-bolt clamps rather than crimps, the appearance of which I'm
not ready to see on my lovely Potter. Not to mention the potential for chafe
caused by all that protruding hardware,

The point regarding Stainless steel becoming more brittle over time is valid -
300 series stainless steel does work harden and the change is invisible until
individual strands start to break and become "meathooks". This might be
measurable since the metal becomes slightly magnetic as it work hardens.

Another book, _Looking at Sails_, recommends galvanized wire rope for wire
running rigging like halyards, outhauls and vangs where flexure is frequent but
were in favor of 1x19 stainless for standing rigging.. Another advantage of
galvanized mild steel rigging could be that it's condition would be more
visually obvious - damaged or corroded areas would quickly discolor calling
attention to their condition. Incidentally, I would recommend _Looking at Sails_
as a good read. A lot of time is spent explaining the practical differences
between fractional and masthead rigs. Our recent threads on backstays and
inboard genoa tracks might never have occurred had folks read this book first!

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA