Re: Penny-pinching Potter-ers - Sailboat prep expenses - Genoa prices?

SolarFry@aol.com
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 23:13:52 EST

In a message dated 3/4/99 12:32:02 PM Eastern Standard Time, ej@tx3.com
writes:

<< Subj: RE: Penny-pinching Potter-ers - Sailboat prep expenses - Genoa
prices?
Date: 3/4/99 12:32:02 PM Eastern Standard Time
From: ej@tx3.com (Eric Johnson)
To: SolarFry@aol.com
CC: wwpotter@tscnet.com (West Wight Potter Mail List)
> I've been getting quotes of $ 600+ for a 1.5 oz ripstop nylon 150 % Genoa
Whoa nylon for a genoa? You sure you want that? or are you thinking more
like a drifter?

> without UV strip, with CDI tape luff and 4 colors (Blue, red, green and
> yellow). Anyone know of a cheap loft with reasonable quality
> colorful genoas?
> Before I go blow 600 bucks for a Hood/North Genoa or buy the IM
> one for 415?
**The IM/Odyssety one is dacron, and a LOT heavier than 1.5oz (thats like
spinnaker weight!). If you can live without fancy colors, you can get a nice
performance nordac (North's dacron/mylar laminate) from North's CDI division
for a lot less money than $600, less even than the odyssey when I priced it,
and I'd think a North sail would be as good as any out there.

but as i was searching i found a nice deal on a used odyseey genoa so thats
what I have. >>

I sail oceanside once a month and Lapper seems adequate for windspeeds out
there as average wind speed is 15 MPH with a range of 8 to 25 MPH. More like
20+ than 8 However, I sail for about an hour or so, once a week, in a small
canal surrounded by 2 story homes. 15-20 MPH oceanside translates to 2 - 8
MPH canalside depending on which end of canal I find myself in. I like sailing
canal cause it teaches me how to trim Potter and Potter sails for max speed
plus I can release everything and walk around before I ram a seawall or
another boat... Also, I don't need to raise and lower mast or motor for 25 min
to reach ocean. I just get on and sail...

I contacted Cruising Direct for their 3200 performance genoa with 3.2 oz cloth
but still think that may be too heavy for this canal... Boat US offers a 10%
discount on North CD sails if ordered through their number. We'll see... I
would love a translucent one as it will not need a window ($$$). I have to sit
on downwind side to lean boat and retain sail shape some times. I think I'm
giving up colors and go with plain white <sniff> if I can't get a light roller
furling genny under $500 with shipping and tax included.

Anyway, I cannot purchase any more boat stuff till after I pay what I've
charged up on my M/C this March 16th.

Best
SF