Re: "Heaving To" with a Lateen Rig?

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:17:41 -0800

Lars S. Mulford wrote:

> Gordon wrote:
>
> > that a gaff-rigged cat can be hove to. It involves lowering the gaff to
> > some extent. Something similar may be possible with the lateen.
>
> Harry:
>
> You are right. It is called scandalizing, and it is done by dropping the peak
> halyard on a gaff-rigged cat. For the lateen rig, you'd drop the spar to
> reduce the sail area by approximately half (you need reefing points radially
> set in the sail for this, which is what Larry Brown was driving at..) and then
> cinch it off. Since you have no jib to backwind, you need to cleat the boom
> off not tightly, but not loosely either.. With "Always" I cleated it off with
> about a foot of play to either side of center line.. After having done that,
> lash off the tillar so that the handle points to the opposite side that the
> wind is blowing.. Raise the centerboard so that you have the board arm at
> about 45-50 degree angle pointing up.. That should hold you for a bit.
>
> Keep in mind though that the lateen rigged P15 won't hold station as nicely as
> a standard rigged P15 this way, but it will hold a REASONABLE station for
> short periods. I never let it go more than about 5 minutes this way, but then
> again, I never needed more time than that either. For obvious reasons, I
> would not suggest that you do this in any sustained strong winds.. I did it
> three times with "Always" and the beefiest winds I encountered when doing it
> were perhaps 15 or slightly more..
>
> So in short, the lateen rigged P15 can do it, but you must pay more attention
> and realize from the beginning that you'll make more forward motion than the
> standard rigged P15..

Well! I'll have add this to my "heave to" file. I guess instead of
having your jib pushing the boat off the wind while the rudder and main
are pushing it into the wind, you have the cb replace the jib with
enough side slipping so the main and rudder are prevented from succeding
in pushing the boat more into the wind. And the side slipping
compensates to some degree for any forward progress the boat is making.
Very interesting. I'll try it if I don't get Popeye sold.

My experience with lateen Popeye was that I could not even get the boat
to go into "irons." No matter what I did, she just wanted to take off
forward, and in any amount of wind, light or heavy.

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a Capri-16, #74, no name yet,
and selling a WWP-14, Popeye, #561, in San Diego.
OLDSURFDUDE