Re: Potter Capsize

Gordon (hlg@pacbell.net)
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:39:01 -0800

>Michael D. Campbell
>P-15 #1683 "CAMPBELL's SLOOP" wrote:

>1. Can some one provide me the details of knock down or other vertical to
>water events with the Potter 15? This is of concern to me as I plan to sail
>my boat in challenging conditions on Lake Michigan.

>2. Specific Questions:

> b. Will the boat self-right and be sailable after knock down with a
>cockpit full (but slowly emptying)?

Probably.

> c. Will the boat self-right and be sailable after knock down with a cabin
>and cockpit full of water?.

Probably not; it will probably turn turtle and stay there. It will be
particularly hard to right if the centerboard was not secured and has
retracted or fallen into the cabin.

> d. If the cabin floods (with keel full down) can the skipper self rescue
>by bailing or will the boat have a tendency to turtle or continue to take on
>water through the keel truck or cockpit?

Not sure. It will probably vary with model and the amount and location of
flotation. Sailing tutorials usually address the problem of a swamped
centerboard boat taking in water through the centerboard faster than it can
be bailed out. They advise stuffing socks and such in the centerboard slot
to slow the flow until you can bail enough to get the water level below the
opening. My point is that it could be a problem with any centerboard boat.
Offhand, I don't recall reading of anyone encountering that situation in a
Potter.

If the boat is swamped but is right side up and the keel is down, I don't
think it would be inclined to turtle.

Most Potter skippers never have the experience of capsizing or turning
turtle, but it happens occasionally. The best safeguard against capsizing
is being aware that it can happen. I haven't capsized yet, but I've only
had my Potter for 29 years.

For some first-hand accounts, see "Tales of Turning Turtle" on the Potter
Yachters web page at <http://songbird.com/potter_yachter/story/Turtles.htm>.

Some of the members of the WWP mail list sail Lake Michigan, so they may be
able to reassure you in that regard.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA