Re: Tohatsu/Nissan 3.5 external tank discussion

SolarFry@aol.com
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 23:10:08 EST

In a message dated 3/29/99 12:42:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, uffda@sonic.net
writes:

To: wwpotter@tscnet.com (potter mail list)

OSD and others

Try http://www.towerhobbies.com . Go to "Product and Price listings", then
(far down on the right) "All fuel and accessories". On that list you will
find a "high volume" gas fuel pump listed as LXB889 - Which is a Dave
Brown's #2002 hand operated gas fuel pump for $11.99. I don't know what
they mean by "high volume", but I seem to remember it to be about an ounce
per turn of the crank. Give them a call.

Larry

I can see this...

Blowing 30 MPH, seas 6 - 9', motoring in with 3.5 w/internal fuel tank... Run
out of fuel at inlet... (Wasn't that obvious?) <G> Hang over stern and open
fuel cap on outboard. Swoosh a wave promptly drowns 3.5 under water and fills
gas tank with water. >BF< Disconnect motor with one hand on tiller, one hand
on jibsheets, one hand on fuel tank, one hand on motor to drain water
overboard polluting ocean with gas and one hand to hang onto boat. <G>
Reinstall motor and rehook fuel doohickey. Pump gas in.. lean over and crank
engine. Then.. No need... <G> I am already sitting on top of breakwater and I
can walk home... <BG> As I walk towards beach on breakwater Coasties come over
and hand me 2 tickets. One for dumping gas with water overboard ($500,000)
and another for parking a sailboat on the breakwater! ($55.00) >ABF< Soon a
towboat appears and pulls boat off breakwater billing me for salvage...

I imagine that hand operated fuel pump would be ok while sailing in very
protected waters where not more than 10 knot winds are ever expected and waves
never reach more than 3'. For ocean use I would strongly urge a motor with a
separate fuel tank of more than 2 gals...

Best
Solar Fry
P19 # 1028, "Elusive Margin" Mast down and ready for ocean sail...
Florida Weather: Temp 70 F
Partly Cloudy, wind ENE 16 - 22 MPH Gusting to 35, Seas 6' to 9'
Canal wind NE 13 - 19 gusting to 25, canal waves 1/2 - 1 1/2'