Re: capsize

Dennis W. Farrell (dfarrell@ridgecrest.ca.us)
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 20:56:34 -0700

Bernard: I don't have much information, but this may help to spark a
discussion from those more knowledgeable than I.

>From an older Johnson manual I copied the following:

"There are two situations to consider when dealing with a submerged motor.
Did it go overboard while running or stopped? If a motor is lost overboard
while running, it should always be disassembled before any attempt is made
to start it.

"It is quite possible that internal parts have become bent or distorted if
the motor is submerged while running. Attempting to start the motor can
result in extensive additional damage and necessary repairs.

"A motor lost overboard in salt water fopr a period longer than two hours
should always be disassembled and cleaned before starting is attempted..
Some materials used in internal parts of modern engines are subject to very
rapid corrosion in the presence of salt water and should be inspected to
determine if replacements are required.

"Your Johnson delear shold always be consulted in these cases as he is best
equipped to inspect for and repair internal damage.

"A motor lost overboard in fresh water can usually be safely started if
recovered within twelve hours, providing no sand or silt is present. Remove
the spark plugs and the carburetor orifice screw. Drain all fuel lines and
tank. Pull the starter until all water present has been expelled.
Reassemble and start."

The above is fact as presented by one manufuactorer. Now for my _opinions_,
which are considerably less authoritative than the preceeding.

Pull the shroud(s) and thoroughly rinse everything reachable on the motor
with fresh water. Empty the fuel tank and carburetor. Drain the lower end
and refill. If the engine was not running when it was immersed, fill the
cylinders with fresh water and pull the engine through _slowly_, stopping if
any resistance is felt. Continue doing this with fresh water until the
water coming out of the plug holes doesn't taste salty (Taste - don't
swallow). Turn off the water supply and continue pullling the motor through
until you're not getting any water out of the cylinders. Back-flush the
muffler. Put enough gas/oil mixture, perhaps with some extra oil, in the
tank to run it a few minutes. Clean and replace the plugs, put the motor in
a water tank at least deep enough to cover the water pump and attempt to
start it. Run only at low throttle. The purpose of this is to re-oil as
much of the fuel system and internal as possible, not to really test the
engine. I wouldn't run it for more than 10 or 15 minutes. Tomorrow - Call
the shop as early as possible and get their advice.

If the motor was running when it was immersed, I would lay it flat with the
cylinders horizontal and pull it through slowly and gently, stopping if any
resistance is felt. Do this several times with the motor laying on one side,
then on the other. I would then fog it heavily with WD-40 or equivalent,
put the plugs in, pull the shroud(s), and rinse off the exterior thoroughly.
If no resistance was felt during the above, you might proceed as above.

The alternative (no kidding) is to fill your bath tub (or similar - this is
a wife test) with fresh water and keep the motor submerged 'till tomorrow
morning.

The whole idea is that salt water is the culprit - fresh water does
considerably less harm. Worst case it may be the best you can do is
displace as much salt with fresh as possible, then rely on the experts
tomorrow.

I hope this starts some discussion among those who've already faced this
problem and emerged successful.

I wish you luck on the motor, and on your boat. When the dust (or salt
spray) settles, please let us all know what happened - give us all a chance
to learn

Good Luck -- dwf